EA propagation: meeting minutes 3/18/10
A.Accardi, R.Dupre, L.El Fassi, G.Gilfoyle, A.Majumder
Next Meeting: Thu 25 at 1pm
Q-Pythia & HT energy loss
Alberto and Abhijit reported strong interest from the authors of Q-Pyhtia (Leticia Cunqueiro, Nestor Armesto, Carlos Salgado) in helping implementing HT energu loss.
Q-Pythia & PQM
Alberto also contacted Constantin Loizides, one of the authors of the PQM Monte-Carlo for energy loss in heavy-ion collisions, who is willing to help with its implementation in Q-Pythia. PQM is essentially what Aji is trying to do.
Even better, there alteady exists a PQM implementation inside the Q-Pythia in the ALICE ROOT framework used by the ALICE heavy-ion experiment at CERN. Constantin is willing (with some help) to take it out of that framework. All that one would then need is to implememt the cold nucleus geometry, and we would be done. Probably Aji would be the best candidate to start this project.
Constantin is also Joining Berkeley Lab and might team up with Mateusz Ploskon to study cold nuclear matter.
Pythia + Lund fragmentation
Raphael's code is working at energies ranging from CLAS to EIC, and he asked what to do with it. We agreed to
- Test the code against HERMES data:
- extract qhat (and compare it with Alberto's value of 0.6 GeV^2/fm)
- check teh behavior of the pT-broadening: where is it similar and where different from HERMES data?
- We should also ask HERMES experts whether they corrected for diffractive contributions to pions or not
- Apply it to EIC, starting with the top priorities in our observables list:
- π vs η - RM and pT-broadening
- Heavy flavors
Gerry Gilfoyle is interested in nstudying HBT correlations in e+A collisions.
- HBT are used in Heavy-Ion Collisions to study the space-time shape of the particle production region, which in turn is determined by the dynamics of hadronization and the properties of the hot medium produced in the collisions.
- In e^+e^- and p+pbar collisions it also has been used to study jets shapes.
- In e+A collisions it's not clear to Gerry how they could be used. Will Brooks has thought more about this in his talk  at INT last Fall ] .
Gerry will study more this topic, and add a few words in our observables list. Abhijit will also contact his colleague Mike Lisa, who is one of the biggest experts on this topic in heavy-ion collisions.
Tasks (new and old)
- Volounteers needed: implementing the cold nuclear medium in Q-Pythia in collaboration with M.Ploszkon and C.Loizides at LBL.
- Gerry: write a few words on HBT in our observables list.
- Raphael: apply PyQM to HERMES and EIC
- Taya: calculate particle production rates with Lepto as a cross-check of Raphael's table