EA propagation: MC meeting minutes 2/22/10
Alberto Accardi, Harut Avakian, Aji Daniel, Raphael Dupre, Lamiaa El Fassi
Next meetings: how and when
Following the unsuccesful use of EVO, we decided to try using JLab's "audio conferencing", which sets up a phone conference. If we need to show each other some slides or plots, we can put them on the agenda page in the wiki. More details to come on the mailing list.
To accomodate as many participants as possible, we decided to move the meeting to Tuesdays at 10-11am. If collaborators on the west coast prefer, we can push it to 11-12. Remarks and complaints to Alberto, please.
Status of our MCs
Raphael's BDMPS+Lund Pythia simulation is running, thouch some issues with energy loss need to be addressed. The goal is to have some physics plot to compare to existing data, and hopefully some EIC plot for Argonne.
Aji has tried to run the latest Pythia version, which works at JLab energy with the EG2 experiment cuts. Next, he'll try to use Fragmentation Functions to hadronize the partons created by Pythia, and to reconstruct experimentally the FF as a check. Parton energy loss would come next.
About the Higher-Twist monte-carlo, Harut asked if it can in principle address sin(Φ) or sin(2Φ) spin asymeetries. This would connect our work and nuclear targets in general to people studying TMDs (Transverse Momentum dependent Distributions).
Mateusz Ploskon expressed interest in working on Q-Pythia and study jets at EIC, and comparing them to what is being measured in A+A collisions at RHIC.
Priorities for Argonne
For the Argonne's meeting we should produce minimally, in order of importance:
- Tables of hadron production rates for the 3 standard energy configurations (3+30, 11+30, 4+100) see Machine Designs. These tables can b eproduced in e+p mode, and should be similar to what W.Brooks did for JLab12  and should include all hadrons of interests, even ones considered "difficult to detect", and rough acceptance cuts, liek 3 degrees around the beampipe.
- For a choice of observables, use the e+p simulation todetermine teh statistical errors. Make plots together with some theory prediction to illustrate teh interest and feasibility of the observable.
- For each of the above plots, plot also teh distribution of the involved hadrons in angle θ and momentum p to help teh detector working groups in their design.
If on top of this, we can also produce some physics plot out of our e+A simulation, even better!
Choice of observables
We briefly discussed a set of "flagship" observables for Argonne:
- Attemuation and pT-broadening as a function of z for
- π0 vs. η mesons (energy loss vs prehadron absorption)
- B vs D mesons (heavy flavor puzzle)
- heavy vs. light mesons in general
- vs. Q2 - one of the most intriguing features of HERMES data
- vs. z - for precision tests of theory models
All this should be done with various different cuts in the non-observed variables, to emphasize the physis reach and the statistical power of EIC in measuring multi-differential observables.
The list is intentionally limited in scope for now (e.g., baryons are left out), but will need more discussion and to be enlarged in the future.
- All: write a prioritized list of observables you are interested in, or think would be nice to measure at EIC, and put it on the wiki ( here) or send it to Alberto, who will try to combine all suggestions together
- Harut: explore the connection with TMDs, and write on the wiki a short summary with references.
- Alberto: set up a CVS repository for exchange of MC codes